Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Wingin' It

Menu planning didn't happen this week. We got back from the ranch at about 5:30pm on Monday sooooo yeah. Didn't happen.

Last night's dinner was a spur of the moment decision and I went to the grocery store after work to pick up the ingredients but didn't bother with planning or buying other things to eat for the rest of the week. I figured we'd just wing it for a few days, since we'll be eating dinner at a friend's house on Friday night and we'll be out of town on Saturday night. That only leaves Wednesday & Thursday to worry about.

What is the perfect "winging it" dinner?

EGGS.

I pretty much winged {wang? haha} dinners the entire year of Hub's deployment and, let me tell you, it involved a LOT of eggs. They're just so easy and filling!

I already had eggs for dinner tonight on the mind this morning and then I saw Brittany's post about her Greek Style Wrap and knew that was the direction I would be taking with it. I just happened {miraculously} to have most of the ingredients on hand.



I wrapped up scrambled eggs {1 egg & 1/4 cup Egg Beaters mixed together}, reduced-fat feta cheese and a handful of spring mix lettuce inside of a Flat Out Light wrap. After taking the picture I also added some hot sauce, because eggs are ALWAYS better with hot sauce.

On the side I had some sliced tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with s&p.

It was pretty good, although I was still hungry after eating it. I quickly shoved a few pita chips with hummus and a peach in my mouth to compensate for the lingering hunger. Then I was full. :)

In case you were wondering, Hubs did not eat the same thing as me tonight. He had leftover seafood & tomato sauce from last night topped with fried eggs. Haha kind of weirdish but he let me try a bite and I must say it wasn't all that bad!

What's your go-to "winging it" dinner?

5 comments:

  1. Your delicious spur of the moment ideas make me feel inferior. I'm staying tuned to this post to see what others suggest as "winging it" dinners because mine are simply pasta with chicken and some sauce (from a jar)... or cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks pretty good!

    Eggs came through for me tonight, too. I had planned to put an avocado in my sushi rolls but it was brown and gross, so I scrambled up an egg and subbed it! Gotta love eggs for a quick and easy protein/fat source!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, agreed- eggs (and anything for that matter) are better with hot sauce! Good reminder for my next wrap ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is it that you always seem to have most of the ingredients on hand?? It seems like I am almost missing that one main ingredient!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome spur of the moment dinner! Mine is paninis...quick and easy, or if we don't have any meat that's not frozen...a good grilled cheese. Mmmmm. Why does it seem like winging it meals should include comfort food? :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one. :)