Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Plan to Not Plan

I really didn't think I liked not planning out our meals. But today as I started dreaming up what I would make for dinner tonight I realized that it can actually be kind of fun to have no plans! Fly by the seat of your pants, be resourceful, let your mind wander kinda cooking. Make whatever you feel like making that day! No restrictions! {well, except ingredients}

Hmmmm...what do I have?

Sweet Potatoes
Onion
Black Beans
Cilantro
Eggs

WAIT. Sweet potatoes + black beans! I've heard a lot about how wonderful that combination is and I've been chomping at the bit to try it.

For some reason those ingredients were screaming "Mexican Hash!" at me so...

I typed "Sweet Potato & Black Bean Hash" into Google and VOILA! Several recipes popped up and I ultimately found one where I had almost everything I needed.


Sweet Potato, Corn & Black Bean Hash

From EatingWell

Quick and easy hashes are fabulous one-pot meals for those nights when getting dinner on the table fast is a priority. Make it a meal: Serve with warm cornbread or tortillas.

2 servings, about 2 cups each | Active Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients

* 2 teaspoons canola oil
* 2 medium onions, chopped
* 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
* 2 large cloves garlic, minced
* 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
* 4 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup water
* 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
* 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
* Freshly ground pepper, to taste
* 1 lime, cut into wedges

Preparation

1. Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until browned in spots, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sweet potato and cook, stirring, until it starts to brown in spots, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeño, cumin and salt; sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in corn and black beans and cook until heated through. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Serve with lime wedges.

Nutrition

Per serving : 419 Calories; 6 g Fat; 0 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 80 g Carbohydrates; 16 g Protein; 17 g Fiber; 771 mg Sodium; 621 mg Potassium


I didn't have any jalepenos {side note: how do you add the squigly line to the n in jalepeno...I should ask my mom....since she's a Spanish teacher and all...} but I did have a yellow bell pepper that was on it's last leg so I subbed that in. I also added a few drops of Sriacha hot sauce to add back some of the heat too.

I served my hash with spoonfuls of salsa and light sour cream on the side. I must say, I think the hash would have been a little too...hmm...blah?....without the salsa and sour cream. I mean it was good, don't get me wrong! But the tanginess of the salsa and the creaminess of the sour cream really kicked it up a notch!


I also served my hash with a runny fried egg on top. This was an unnecessary addition {as opposed to the salsa & sour cream} but it surrrrrrre was delish!

Because, duh, everything is better with a runny fried egg on top.

Also, I don't know if my sweet potato was extra large or what, but this made WAY more than the "2 servings" the recipe says! I have enough left over to cover my lunches for at least a few days. {Yessssss....I love lunch leftovers.}

And since I've now realized that it's actually not all that bad to not plan a meal here and there, I think I may start planning to NOT plan anything for one night a week.

Did that make any sense at all?

I didn't think so.

Are you a planner or a non-planner when it comes to cooking? Do you ever plan to not plan?

1 comment:

  1. Haha I actually HAVE planned to NOT plan! But my results are never as delicious as this! When I don't plan we usually end up with grilled sandwiches or, at best, a stir-fry. I think my problem is that I forget what I have in my kitchen, so I can't look up recipes while I'm at work, and by the time I get home I'm hungry and just want to eat immediately.

    I love the combo of sweet potatoes and black beans!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one. :)