Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Supremely Scrumptious Salsa Burgers

Inspiration for this meal came from flipping through the pages of my latest edition of Cooking Light magazine.

"Southwest Salsa Burgers? Hmmm those sound delicious. I shall add that to my meal plan for this week."

Oh how I love Cooking Light. LOVE.

I decided to substitute ground turkey for beef because we just really like turkey burgers.


What's for Dinner? 7/26/2010

-Southwest Salsa Turkey Burgers
-Sweet Potato Oven Fries & Regular Fries
-Steamed Broccoli


Yum yum yum. Supremely scrumptious.

Southwest Salsa Burgers

Other Time: 20 minutes minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 burger)

1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
3/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper (I didn't have this so I just used a dash each of chile powder, paprika, and cayenne instead)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound lean ground round (Ground turkey)
1/4 cup refrigerated fresh salsa, divided
Cooking spray
4 (1-ounce) slices Monterey Jack cheese
4 Boston lettuce leaves
4 (1 1/2-ounce) (whole wheat) hamburger buns, toasted
8 (1/8-inch-thick) tomato slices

1. Combine first 5 ingredients and 2 tablespoons salsa. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.

2. Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Top each patty with 1 cheese slice; cook 1 minute or until cheese melts.

3. Place 1 lettuce leaf on bottom half of each bun; top with 2 tomato slices, 1 patty, 1 1/2 teaspoons salsa, and 1 bun top.


CALORIES 385 ; FAT 15.7g (sat 8.4g,mono 4.5g,poly 0.5g); CHOLESTEROL 86mg; CALCIUM 282mg; CARBOHYDRATE 24.3g; SODIUM 720mg; PROTEIN 36.7g; FIBER 1.3g; IRON 4mg

Cooking Light, AUGUST 2010

What's your favorite meat for burgers? Normal old beef? Or turkey? Or something more exotic?

3 comments:

  1. I miss my subscription to Cooking Light! Burgers looks delish.

    I love bison burgers! But I don't get to eat them too often. Bison is really lean though, and tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I were just saying yesterday that we need a good meat-burger recipe (I've been on a bean burger kick lately). These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um holy delicious!! I also am in LOVEEE with Cooking Light. Why are they so awesome? Though those turkey burgers look rocking, I'm more of a veggie burger girl myself. Maybe I should whip up my own southwestern veggie burgers tonight? :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one. :)