Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Peachy Keen

We're still working through our box of {delicious!} Fredricksburg peaches and loving every minute of it! In an effort to go through a couple of them that were about to be overripe, I decided to bake something with them.

I remembered a recipe I saw recently on How Sweet It Is {a blog I just recently found and LOVE} for Peach Pie Muffins. They sure looked delicious but the best part about the recipe is that they were healthified...no butter or oil at all!

Yesssss....that means I can eat 6 at a time and not feel guilty!

Wait...forget I just said that. I'll distract you by showing you this:

Don't mind my electric blue nail polish! I know it's hard to focus on anything else but try to focus on the muffin deliciousness.

{Side Note: Electric blue nail polish: Appropriate or inappropriate for a casual marketing office? Today at work I felt a little like the rebellious gothic kid in junior high....but I kind of liked it.}

Anyway, back to the muffins!
See those gorgeous yellow chunks? That would be fresh peach chunks nestled in cakey muffinness...uh YUM!

Here are some photos of the process:

Adding the peaches to the batter


All mixed up


Droppin' spoonfuls of batter into muffin tins {Droppin' it like it's hot}


All baked up!

Peach Pie Muffins

Source: How Sweet It Is

{My changes in red}

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1/3 cup sugar

1 egg

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce {I added a couple more tablespoons...see below for explanation}

1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt {I added a couple more tablespoons}

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 tablespoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups chopped, fresh peaches

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin cups in muffin tins.

Mix sugar, applesauce, yogurt and egg until creamy. Add vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir until completely smooth. Fold in peaches. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins. Top with course sugar - Dangit! I forgot to do this!.

Bake for 15-20 minutes {I baked for 22 minutes because mine were still undercooked after 20 minutes}, until toothpick poked in center muffin comes out clean.


My only problem with the recipe was that I mixed up the batter and it was wayyyyyy too thick for muffin batter. It was practically like cookie dough thick! I don't know why that happened but I ended up adding a couple more tablespoons each of yogurt and applesauce to thin it out. This resulted in a super moist dough...almost too moist {if there is such a thing} but they still tasted and looked great so I didn't care!

UPDATE: Upon further inspection, I realized that the reason why my batter was heavier/thicker is because I ignored the part of the recipe where it said to use pastry flour. I just used straight up whole wheat flour. Oooops!

So I guess the moral of the story is that you can use normal whole wheat flour in this recipe but you will need to thin it out with extra yogurt and applesauce. :)

4 comments:

  1. Clearly the only thing inappropriate about your office behavior is not bringing these in for me to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first saw this recipe I think I literally swooned...and now it's happening again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. On my way to the store to buy the ingredients...can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kelsey! Yummy! and the blue nails are infallible

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one. :)