Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Measured Meal

Hi there! Sorry I've been MIA lately! We had a lot going on towards the end of this week and then we left for Houston yesterday (Friday). I'm going to try to get caught up...

Tuesday night we made a delicious dinner of Chicken Meatball Subs with steamed broccoli on the side. The inspiration came from this post on How Sweet It Is.

My husband is a BIG fan of chicken parmesan so I knew he would be up for it! He also really likes making meatballs so I was able to rope him into taking charge of dinner....suuuhweet!

These were seriously sooooooo satisfying. Perfect healthy-ish comfort food. A little cheese and carbs never hurt anyone! :)

Alex wanted me to make sure that I mention that he cooks the meatballs on a pan covered in tin foil. He was very proud of himself that the clean up for this meal was so easy because all I had to do was take off the foil and throw it away!


Filling the subs with balls, covering with sauce and then laying on the cheese...

Ohhhh yeah! So good!

Another thing Alex was proud of himself for was remembering to write down the measurements that he used when putting together the balls.

Getting that boy to use actual measurements is like trying to get a pig to fly! But I threatened his life if he didn't so he obliged...the things we do for the sake of blogging!

Alex's Healthier Chicken Meatball Subs
Adapted from How Sweet It Is

1 lb ground chicken
1/3 c. whole wheat bread crumbs
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
2 Tbsp worcestershire (I'm too lazy to look up the actual spelling of that word)
1 egg

Whole wheat hoagie or sub buns
Sliced provolone cheese
Spaghetti sauce (we used the kind out of a jar)

Mix all ingredients together with your hands until incorporated. Form into small golf ball size balls and place on a tin foil covered baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers at 180 degrees.

To assemble the subs, place 3-4 meatballs inside of a bun and then cover in warmed tomato sauce and lay on a slice of provolone cheese. Broil in the oven for about 2 minutes or until the cheese melts. {Don't be like us and let these go too long or you'll get extra crispy a.k.a. burnt buns!}

Are you a measurer or a toss everything in kinda person? I'm a total measurer but my husband is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Please leave one. :)