Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Workout Review: Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training

Yes, another fitness-related post. What is wrong with me!?

I've just been feeling especially motivated to work out lately....maybe it's the fact that it's the New Year or maybe it's that I'm unemployed right now (and therefore have nothing better to do), but I am really becoming a bit of a fitness junkie!

And I must say, I'm seriously liking the results. I've dropped 5 pounds and I just feel overall more toned and tight than I have in a long time!

A lot of that "tightness" and "toning" I think I have to thank this lady for:


I had heard good things about this workout DVD and was contemplating purchasing it, but then I discovered Exercise OnDemand. And whaddayaknow, they were currently offering this workout for free! Awesommmme! I love when things work out like that.

So I've done her full-body power circuit workout a couple of times now and let me tell you, this is no joke! It is mostly all strength-training (look elsewhere for cardio) done in circuits based on the muscle group that you're working (such as hamstrings, shoulders, etc.). Each muscle group consists of three different exercises, and then you "Power Burn" through all three of them again for a shorter period of time. "Power Burn" is appropriately named, because I certainly felt the burn! The whole workout takes about 40 minutes to complete.

For this workout you will need one or two sets of dumbbells (you could do it with one but I like having two so I can switch from heavier to lighter on some more challenging exercises). I used 5 and 8 pound dumbbells and that seemed just right for me. If you're just starting out with strength training, I would go with 3 pounders. :)

This really is a great strength workout! I loved that Jackie didn't just use all the "typical" strength moves, like pushups, tricep kickbacks, etc. A lot of her moves were new to me, but I liked them even better than the traditional moves.

My Exercise OnDemand says that Jackie's Power Circuit workout is only available until 2/21, so I may just have to buy it after that.

Side Note: As much as I love Exercise OnDemand, sometimes you have to sift through a lot of crap to get to any of the good stuff. I mean, sorry, but "Booty Roll" and "Booty Pop" aren't exactly my cup of tea for a workout.

In case you're interested, here is my general workout schedule right now:

Monday = Run/Walk intervals on the treadmill for 40 minutes
Tuesday = Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training
Wednesday = Run/Walk intervals on the treadmill for 40 minutes
Thursday = Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training OR one of my other DVD's (30 Day Shred, The Firm: Get Chisel'd, etc.)
Friday = Run/Walk intervals on the treadmill for 40 minutes
Saturday = free/rest day
Sunday = Workout with Hubs....usually at the gym on Post

I'll also throw in some yoga about 2-3 times a week...typically just something I find on Exercise OnDemand.

Keep in mind I get bored very easily, so this is a VERY loose schedule. I'll often plan on doing one thing but then that day I just decide to do something else. As long as I'm working out in one way or the other, I figure it doesn't matter what I do! :)

Anyway, sorry to go on and on about working out. I know this is out of character for my blog, but it's what I'm most passionate about at the moment. Hope I didn't bore you too much!

Have you ever done at-home workouts? If so, what is your favorite?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I have been on a fitness kick too. I use our treadmill for walk/run intervals, P90X (the cardio is my fav!), a kickboxing class and ride my bike - usually 15 to 25 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that dvd! My favorite right now is Core Fusion.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one. :)