Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Killer Workout Man!

I've been experimenting a lot with at-home workouts lately, since I have so much more time on my hands {read: I'm funemployed}.

Even though I have plenty of time to workout that doesn't mean I want to spend tons of time doing it. I tend to be a get in and get out kind of worker-outer. :)

I'm sure you all know that the newest trend in fitness is high-intensity circuit training {rotating through short bursts of high-intensity moves with little to no rest in between moves}. Research has shown that these shorter, but higher-intensity workouts tend to blast through more calories than longer and lower-intensity workouts.

I did a high-intensity circuit workout today that I just have to share with yall. It only takes 15-20 minutes and it had me huffing and puffing by the end.

Want proof? Check out my sweaty red face afterwards:
Sans makeup and red faced...not my most flattering look!

Oh and another awesome thing about this workout is that it requires NO EQUIPMENT!! You don't need to have anything but your body to do this sucker.

Anyway I found this routine on Women's Health website. The workout is designed by celebrity trainer Harley Pasternak, who apparently trains the likes of Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Megan Fox and is also the author of the 5-Factor Fitness Plan.

Here's how it goes:

Source: Women's Health
takes 15-20 minutes

Cardio Warmup - do 1 minute of each of the following, no rest in between
1. Walking High Knees
2. Jog in Place
3. Jumping Jacks
4. Imaginary Jump Rope
5. Mountain Climbers

Total Body Circuit - Repeat the circuit 3 times, no rest
1. Skater Lunges (20 reps - 1 rep is lunging on both sides)
2. Pushups (20 reps)
3. Seated Trunk Twists (20 reps - 1 rep is twisting on both sides)

Cardio Cooldown - do 1 minute of each of the following, no rest in between
1. Mountain Climbers
2. Imaginary Jump Rope
3. Jumping Jacks
4. Jog in Place
5. Walking High Knees

**Note: For more info on any of the moves click on the link to the workout above. The idea is to do this workout as quickly as possible, with little to no breaks, and with as much intensity as possible. I'm not going to lie, I had to take a few breathers, but it was for no more than 5 seconds and then I kept going as hard as I could.

I estimate that I burnt about 200-225 calories doing this workout (based on my heart rate), but that varies from person to person and depends on how hard you push yourself. Not bad for 20 minutes of my time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Please leave one. :)