Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Just Finished Reading...

Reading has always been a passion of mine. Unfortunately, I'm also a very slow reader which frequently annoys me because I have a couple bookshelves FULL of books to read but I tend to get through them very slowly. And usually by the time I've finished one book I've already added at least one or two more to my to-read list.

Regardless, I do try to read at least a little bit every day, usually just before bed. So I'm going to use this blog as a way to write a "review" of sorts about the books that I read. The first review is going to be on the book that I just finished this morning: The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory.

I really enjoyed this book. In fact, it might be my favorite of the Philippa Gregory books that I've read so far, which include The Other Boleyn Girl and The Queen's Fool. I love the way Gregory mixes accurate historical events with fictional embellishments to make a truly fascinating story.

Plus, the era of King Henry VIII and beyond is just fascinating to me. His life was truly like a soap opera and sometimes it's hard for me to believe that those events actually happened. I mean, what kind of man lives his life with SIX wives who he either beheads or exiles whenever he is tired of them.

So The Boleyn Inheritance follows his marriages to Anne of Cleves (the 4th wife) and Katherine Howard (the 5th). It is written through the perspective of Anne, Katherine, and Jane Boleyn (the sister-in-law of Anne Boleyn). I don't want to give too much away so I'll just leave it at the fact that it's EXTREMELY interesting!

If you're going to read The Boleyn Inheritance I definitely recommend you first read The Other Boleyn Girl since the book often refers to events that happened during the marriage of Henry to Anne.

My rating: 4 stars (out of 5)

1 comment:

  1. Ashley! So good to know that there is someone else out there just as obsessed with Henry VIII as I am! I watch Showtime's 'The Tudors' religiously and read for hours on end about Henry's wives, the relationship between England and the break from the Catholic church... I could go on forever! I'm definitely going to read this book now :)

    -Amanda Postrigan

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one. :)